Popular Posts

Sunday, October 17, 2010

San Diego MTS; How to get around in the city without a car or money...

I was at first disappointed that I had to take the bus and later the trolley to my volunteering interview position with the International Rescue Committee (IRC) especially on my birthday. I hadn’t heard great things about San Diego’s transportation, especially not like DC or NYC. Since I am a new resident to San Diego and my husband had to take our car to work today, I decided to make the best out of my adventure!

After taking the bus for 45 minutes from downtown Ocean Beach (OB) to Old Town San Diego, another half an hour or so on a trolley from Old Town to SDSU station, then finish with a good 15 minutes bus ride into City Heights, I learned the importance of a transportation system for the people. A good system is truly needed by the residents of a city!

I noticed most of the people who were taking the bus and the trolley, were dressed in work clothes. I talked to a lady from Thailand who had lived in San Diego for two years now. Although her English was a little rough, I enjoyed learning about her story of how she got to San Diego. She was telling me that she was on her way to work at one of the Thai restaurants in Point Loma area. She loves living in San Diego. It is way better than her home country she said with excitement.

I also talked to another San Diegan who grew up most of his entire life in the Ocean Beach OB) area. He was on his way to work in City Heights as a construction worker. I came to realize how much admiration I had for these people. Although the OB twenty- something guy looked and dressed up in a dirty bum clothes, I am glad I had the chance to talk to him. Once I heard his story and how many jobs he was going to work today, it really made me grateful and made me appreciate the time I had to be able to just listen and talk with a stranger. These are the people I don’t hear much about in the news or in a politically heated debate either. I think the reason they are not, is because they’re always working, some two or even three jobs. Despite how many jobs they work in a day, they still make enough to take the public transportation and to provide for their family.

My experience today, has made me truly appreciate having a car. Sometimes we take it for granted. However, it also makes you appreciate the fact that there is some kind of public transportation offered to the local community in case there is no access to a car, bike or some kind of motorcycle.

Now, I am actually planning to take the city transportation maybe once a week to go up to SDSU to work on my thesis writing. It is nice I don’t have to worry about driving or stuck in traffic. When you are in traffic, you don’t have to worry about the stress or someone cutting you off on the road. Someone else is driving, so I can just carry a good conversation with the person next to me or listen to my ipod or have something to read.

I absolutely love the trolley! It is amazing. Its quick, easy to use & doesn’t cost that much!

Although my trip took me almost three hours, I don’t mind taking the bus and the trolley again next time when I am car-less. It got me to my appointment on time, I was able to go sight-seeing in San Diego and I didn’t have to drive in the traffic! It is only $5 for a day pass, which includes both the bus and trolley!

2 comments:

  1. Buddy your truly the picture of true strength and will power. I totally look up to you as my friend and role model of how I should appreciate everything I have and can do in my life. When we met up for dinner, I really saw how you are so committed to whatever you do. More people need to be like you. Keep doing what your doing. you rock.

    love nicole delacruz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole dear old friend!

    You are too sweet with your thoughtful kind words! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your support and thought! I truly appreciate the effort!

    PS. I enjoy our catching up and appreciate your company very much! Look forward to our next hang out! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete