Popular Posts

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Le Thi Dien Thuy -author of “The Gangster We Are All Looking For.”

This article was taken place on Tuesday night, February 2, 2011


The last few months I have been spending most of my time at the San Diego Library. I was very excited when I discovered that the public libraries are incredibly resourceful and have endless free books and movies! Besides writing my MA Thesis, I find myself renting movies and books. Although most of the movies are old “like so last year” or even take you way back to 60 years ago, I found myself truly appreciate them! Most importantly, I don’t even have to pay a dime!

About two month ago, I saw a book with many copies in front of the library door entry and all over the check out counter space. The book has a cover of a woman that has similar features to me with a strange title, “The Gangster We Are All Looking For.” Not only her feature screamed “READ ME” because it could be about a Cambodian story. In some part of her name is like my middle name! Could this be a coincidence that this book has my name all over it? Of course being the curious I am, I read the back of the book and ended up checking it out!

This evening, with one chapter left to go in the book, I attended the One Book, One San Diego Author Talk with Le Thi Dien Thuy. I had the great fortune to be in the same present and received autograph by the author of “The Gangster We Are All Looking For.” I also had the opportunity to pump up my energy level through watching the break-dancer performed. Most important, I truly felt a sense of a community and support from the San Diegan as they sat here with me this evening listening to Thuy’s story and presentation.

Thuy’s presentation was a phenomenon. My whole body was filled with chills and emotions that at any moment tears would be running down my cheeks because I felt I related to her story. When Thuy was sharing her experience as a young child, she had to translate for her father, I felt as if it was my story she was talking about! Or the time she shared how grateful she is for the teachers who provided her with the right direction and supports. Oh wait, how about when she mentioned that she was a child refugee from Vietnam? Now we are talking. Suddenly, my body just gave up and tears fell on my golden tan cheeks. I had flash back of teachers, mentors and coaches who made a difference in my life. I also… owned many debts to them…

No comments:

Post a Comment