Popular Posts

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Toastmaster Leadership and Communication Expo 2017




Have you ever felt inspired after attending a conference? 

Let me share with you a little bit about the today’s Toastmaster Leadership and Communication Expo (LACE) that got me inspired and kept me up all night!

What I enjoyed about LACE is that not only did it provided great speakers, but the amazing energy that I received from other participants there. Everyone I met were so positive and friendly.  I mean they are Toasties!  This means they are people from Toastmasters.  I created my own word, "Toastie" because everyone from my club is so warm and friendly.  We are as close as toasts in the oven together.  

Most people I chatted with had some kind of service that they want to offer to the world.  And as for me?  I thought it would be a great opportunity to hone my leadership and communication skills.  Little did I know, I gained much more!

My take-ways are learning about the Five Ways to Get Paid written by Christopher Duncan and the live improv show by National Comedy Theatre.  Chris provided eight ways to create your show and get paid for it! Some of these strategies include: to entertain, teach, interview, research, using social media, and also use case studies.  He explains that these strategies, and more, will provide you audience members. You need an audience to start your show.  You might be asking yourself, “Is building an audience the key to getting paid?” Chris says, “Definitely.” Now, go and create your own show!

Another workshop I enjoyed about LACE, learning the cheapest way to get your book published.  I learned that this is through an e-book! 

Additionally, a key phrase I kept hearing throughout the day is “Take Action!” For instance, I was so inspired after this talk that I upgraded my yoga business though research and marketing.  You can do the same!

I also discovered that I love live improv shows!  The National Comedy Theatre segment at the end of LACE was entertaining.  I found myself laughing my heart and eyes out! 

However, LACE had a few minor downsides.  For instance, one downside was that I was able to find two things that I was disappointed to hear about and I hope that LACE San Diego will improve on not encouraging their speakers and instructors to sell their business.  From the speakers to the instructors for the workshops, they were either selling their products or want you to sign up for their workshops.  The second downside, I would say, is LACE did not provide enough food for their participants.  I am not sure how many people did not end up getting their lunch, but I had a conversation with one of them and gave him my granola bar.  He was disappointed and hungry.  Poor guy. For the future, LACE needs to order more food than they expect so this won't happen again.  

Overall, I really enjoyed LACE and I thought they did a great job by providing a variety of leadership and communication activities.  I was so pumped that I ended up writing about it later!  I haven't written an entry for months! 

Meanwhile, here is some information for those who are interested in attending future Leadership and Communication Expos.  I hope you enjoy these pictures!









No comments:

Post a Comment