Popular Posts

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Anything you need, we got it


You can find about anything you need or want with the tip of your finger in Phnom Penh. For example, today my cousin and I went to a book store. In front of the book store, which attached to other stores on both side of endless line of stores, there are a few little sheets plastic seal stands. They have a ready stand with their heat up equipment. So I bought two maps, one is a world map and the other is a map of Cambodia. I wanted to share with my relatives of where my parents live and all the countries I have worked study and travel to.

The late age teenager with his grandpa together put the plastic sheets over one of the map. They cut the sheet very detail until all sizes are even. Once its complete, they heat the plastic sheet from both sides until it tightly melt together. Two maps, it took about an hour and half for them to complete. It cost almost nothing. So I gave them $4 for their hard work and well done job. My cousin told me if they get lucky, some days they made about $10 for that day. But you need to take the cost for daily maintain and getting the materials and supplies into consideration as well.
I don’t know what it is but I tend to want to help everyone and in any way that I can. I don’t really need to have a plastic cover sheet over my maps but I figure why not help the old man and his grandson for their hard work and so little pay.


I tend to also stand out. I’m not sure if how I walk, talk or look but is obvious that I am not from here. So far, I have met many good Khmer people from all age level and ethnics. I try to help them by using their mini business whatever that may be. While waiting for my map to be done, I went over to talk to a 20 something year’s old guy watching American movie which dove in Khmer. They kindly pull a chair for me and ask to watch with them. So I did for a little bit. My cousin asked them to upload some songs for him. I figure maybe their job is to sale songs? My guess was right. They would let my cousin listen to different songs to pick from for his cell phone in the front the open busy street. Most of the song that were played, I wanted as well. So I suggested that I buy some songs from them and upload it to my usb. It works! I end up with 20 old Khmer songs for $1.50. I felt I made a bargain and at the same time, I helped someone out. Normally, I don’t think this way but being here makes me think differently from my normal way of thinking about buying and spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment