Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Birthday Wish Came True


October 15, 2009

I never really had a birthday celebration which involved all family members. Although my parents and siblings were not here for my birthday celebration, I had the opportunity to celebrate with my grandma, aunts, uncles and cousins who I have never met and known until now.

The food was prepared since last night. Everyone and anyone were at our house helping to prepare the various Cambodian dishes. They made papaya salad, red curry chicken and roasted duck. Everyone in the house had a duty except for me. Each family was assigned to prepare a dish. In the backyard one of our neighbors was pilling-out duck fur, cutting it open, cleaning out the inside and collecting it blood. Meanwhile in our house, five women were busy making sauce for the salad, adding variety of vegetable in the salad, cutting herbs, and cooking pork. I walked around taking pictures of everyone actions and duties in preparing for the party.
The birthday party did not start until 7:00pm. I thought it was going to start around 3:00pm in the afternoon. However, my uncle friends will not arrive until the evenings because they need extra time to get ready from work. So we all patiently waited for my uncles’ friends to arrived.

Everyone, I mean the women finish cooking around noon-ish and went home to get ready for the party. One of my female cousin asked if I wanted to get my hair and make-up done. I told her not to worry I should be fine. Everyone insist that I should at least look nice for the guests. I’m thinking what guest? The only guests should be is our family, I thought. However, I forgot about my uncle friends, whom I don’t really care to say the truth. My uncle wanted to network and bring his friends to the party so he can show me off to them, his niece from America.

Around 3:00 in the afternoon I went down stair to look for my elder female cousin who was going to take me to the beauty salon. Unfortunately, she left without me because her toddler was crying. One of my neighbors who love to do make-up and hair insists that she make me look all pretty. All of the females from all ages came over to her house to watch her give me a makeover. Since white seem to be the dominate skin tone, I make sure that my face does not look white as a ghost!

Two hours later, my hair is curl up. My face is cover with light foundation, fake eyes lashes, roses’ cheeks and pink lips. At first my face was too white; I had to tell my neighbor to tone it up. Once I was all dolls up, everyone politely tells me that I look very pretty. I am not sure if they said that because it is my birthday or because the make-up artist would beat them up if they say something negative.
You’re supposed to wear a dress for your birthday party said one of my aunts. I wear a jean with a blouse. I told my aunt that I am comfortable with the outfit and a dress make me sweat and it is hot.

I make sure my equipments for the party was all set up. My video camera was charge since last night and I charge my camera this morning. I had my two male cousins be the camera and video guys. Unfortunately, the youngest brother did not know how to use the camera. After many times of teaching him on how to use the camera, he still does not know how to use it. Meanwhile, I had him be in charge so he can learn. However, tonight after going over the pictures, I am disappointed that he took such few pictures and most are not that great. I haven’t seen my video yet. I can’t determine if the eldest brother was a good video person.

The evening was full of people I don’t know and yet most are my relatives. The evening goes like this; first you serve the guests all of the dishes and drinks. All various generations of cousins were working and hosting the guests, I would walked around each table with my two hands together towards my nose and bow to show respect and honor of them coming to my birthday party. Once my uncle’s guests were done eating, my aunts, cousins and I was allowed to eat. Then those who serves such as my cousins and his friends were allow eating. By then the food was almost gone.

In between the serving and hosting, there was a cake cutting moment. This is very similar to western way of cutting a birthday cake. However, the only difference is that I would have to cut the cake and give them to first my grandma the eldest person and it goes on to the youngest aunts/uncles. While I hand them the cake, they say a little wishes and hopes for the next coming year. Each person had to say something to bless me.

Before the cake cutting, they would sing, “Happy birthday to you” song in English. Then those are around me have some kind of fire lighter in their hands and stuff to throw with when I do blow out the candles. The cake is very small, enough to serve about five people. However, the point is that they got me a birthday cake and threw me a party. Once the cake cutting is done, everyone started to dance. There were a lot of dances moving in circles and the steps are very similar to salsa dancing. The steps I’m familiar with. After have live in Costa Rica for two years, I pick up some salsa. So I did not have a difficultly learning to dance Khmer.
I had a great times laughing, dancing, eating and talking with grandma, aunts, uncles and cousins. This is my first birthday which I got to spend with my relatives and also the first time to live in a country where my relatives are close by. I did not ask for any present because being there with their present is enough. I wouldn’t want any money or gifts from them because I know how hard they work to earn just a few dollars a week or day. I truly think everyone had a great time as well because they talked about it the next day of how fun the dancing and singing was throughout the night and the various delicious foods being serves last night. This is a birthday will always remember and cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment